The Canine Science Forum will be held in two locations in the heart
of Padova: Palazzo Bo’ (Via VIII Febbraio) (June 28th) and MPX Theatre (Via F. Bonporti 22) (June 29th to July 1st). Please note that due to unforeseen complications the conference will not be held at Palazzo della Ragione.
Palazzo Bo’ - Via 8 Febbraio 1848, 2, Padova
Palazzo Bo’ (the Ox building) is the oldest building of the University of Padua. The University acquired it in 1539, although parts of the building had already been there since the 12th century. In the 16th century the building underwent a process of enlargement and conversion, which saw the birth of its monumental courtyard and the world’s first permanent and famous anatomical theatre. The opening day of the conference (June 28) will be held in the Aula Magna (the Great Hall). Originally a large dining-room, it became the preserve of the jurists (Scuola Grande dei Legisti) after the University took over the building, although with a few notable exceptions (e.g. Galileo Galilei was allowed to teach in it). More about Palazzo Bo’ and the anatomical theater here: here (external link)
How to get to the conference venue
Both venues are located in the heart of the city and are easily reached on foot or by public transport from hotels and the train and bus stations.
By public transport
Padova is well served by a network of buses and tram. Several of them have stops in the city centre, close to the conference venue. For time schedule and routs, please refer to the APS Mobilità website (external link)
- To Palazzo Bo’: take buses 2, 3, 5, 11, 13, 16, 22 or the Tram (Metrobus) and stop at Riviera dei Ponti Romani. From the bus stop, walk under the portico (across the street from LaFeltrinelli bookstore); Palazzo Bo’ is the Building on your right-hand side.
- To MPX Theatre: take bus 2 until the Duomo Square (Piazza Duomo). Walk across the square keeping the Church on your right-hand side. At the far end of the square turn right on Via Vescovado and then turn left on Via Bonporti; the theatre will be on your right-hand side.
Walking from the train station
Once out of the train station, and facing away from it, take the main road in front of you and continue straight for 1.2 km (along Corso Garibaldi, Via San Fermo, and Piazza Cavour) until you reach Via VII Febbraio. Palazzo Bo’ will be on your left-hand side. To reach the MPX theatre take the street on your right-hand side (Via San Francesco), which further ahead becomes via Manin; at the end of this, turn left to reach Piazza Duomo; walk across the square keeping the Church on your right-hand side. At the far end of the square turn right on Via Vescovado and then turn left on Via Bonporti; the theatre will be on your right-hand side.
Walking from the regional bus station*
Exit from the bus station and reach the first roundabout. Turn right into Via Nicolò Tommaseo and continue straight until the street light. Turn left on Corso del Popolo and continue straight for 1.2 km (along Corso Garibaldi, Via San Fermo, and Piazza Cavour) until you reach Via VII Febbraio. Palazzo Bo’ will be on your left-hand side, while the street on your right-hand side. To reach the MPX theatre take the street on your right-hand side (Via San Francesco), which further ahead becomes via Manin; at the end of this, turn left to reach Piazza Duomo; walk across the square keeping the Church on your right-hand side. At the far end of the square turn right on Via Vescovado and then turn left on Via Bonporti; the theatre will be on your right-hand side.
* buses from Venice airport stop here
How to travel to Padua
Venice Airport Marco Polo is the most convenient airport to reach Padova. It is located about 40 km from Padova and it has flights to/from all major airports in Italy and Europe. For all details please visit their web site (external link)
- From Venice Marco Polo you can reach Padova:
- by shared taxi: the taxi picks up passengers from the airport and takes them to any address in Padova for about 30 euro/person (depending on the number of passengers). Further information and booking options can be found at this site (external link)
- by bus: FSBusItalia buses run regularly from Marco Polo to Padova Bus Station. The service runs approximately between 7:30am and 10:30pm. Buses leave from outside the airport every hour (or 30 minutes in rush hours) and the journey takes approximately 1 hour and 20 min, depending on traffic conditions. Tickets cost about €8 and can be purchased at the Airport or from the bus driver (with surcharge; note that the driver may not be able to give change). For further information visit this website (external link in Italian only - sorry)
- by taxi: Taxis are found just outside the terminal. The ride may be very expensive, more than 100 euro. Info and reservations Office in the Airport: call +39 041 5416363. Radiotaxi 24h/24h (from 22 to 7 with automatic service): call +39 041 5952080
- by car: major car rental companies have an office at the Venice Airport. From the Airport, follow the green signs “autostrade” (highway - toll required) to get on the highway. After a few km, follow indications for A4 Milano-Padova. Exit at Padova Est and follow signs for ‘Centro'.
- by train: the closest railway station is Venezia Mestre, from which you can take a train to Padova. The journey by train takes between 20-40 min, depending on which train you take. Trains between Venezia Mestre and Padova are very frequent, on average one every 20 min. Consult Trenitalia (external link) for schedule and costs. To reach Mestre train station from the Airport you can either take a taxi or use public transport. Buses (routes 4, 5, and 45) leave from outside the airport, just few meters from Exit B, next to the FlyBus stop. For details visit this site (external link)
Padova Central Station is a key node of the Italian railway system and it is well served by fast trains (Alta Velocità) on the main routs Torino-Trieste and Venezia-Roma. It is about 3 hours from Roma, 2 hours from Milano and Firenze, 1 hour from Bologna and Verona, and 30 minutes from Venezia. Two companies have trains that connect Padova to major Italian cities: Trenitalia and NTV (external links). Padova train station is located approximately 1.2 km from the conference venues, just 15 min walk. Outside the railway station there are also the terminals for urban buses.
- From Highway A4 (Milano-Venezia):
- - If coming from west (Milan) take the Padova Ovest exit and follow directions for the Vicenza-Abano Terme bypass; then take exit no. 4 towards Centro-Cappella degli Scrovegni-Musei Civici Eremitani.
- - If coming from east (Venice) take the Padova Est exit, then follow signs to “Centro”.
- From Highway A13 (Bologna-Padova):
- - take the Padova Sud exit, then follow the signs to “Centro”.
Please, be aware that most of the city center (including the zone of the conference venue) is limited to public transport and vehicles with a special permit. To move within the city, it is advisable to leave the car at your hotel or in one of the parkings that are found in the city (e.g. Park Fiera and Park Stazione, both close to the train and bus stations)
How to get around in Padua
Most part of monuments and points of interest are located in the city centre, inside the Z.T.L. area (Limited Traffic Zone). Admittance within this area is allowed on foot, by bicycle and on motorbikes. The center of Padova is fairly small and can be easily walked through.
It is easy to move arounf Padova using local buses that reach all areas of the town and the immediate surroundings. Urban buses (orange) are marked A.P.S. and tickets can be bought at many newsagents and tobacconists. There is an APS kiosk right outside the train station, where many lines start their journey or stop. Most lines pass across the city centre, and stop close to main points of interest. Some lines run up until midnight, but after that time the only public transport is the taxi service. For further information on bus routes and timetable go to APS website (external link - only in italian)
If you travel by car, there are many parking areas just outside the city centre. There are also parking spaces along roads: those marked with white lines are free, but most allow parking for a limited time. Those marked in blue allow to park only on payment and for limited time. Mind that yellow lines indicate the space is reserved to residents, disabled people (a special permit must be shown on the windscreen) or delivery trucks. A full map of parking areas and information on fares are avilable at this site (external link only in italian)
Many people in Padova use a bicycle to move around town. There is a bike rental service at the train station. If you rent a bike you can easily access the city centre and ride through most areas along the cycling-pedestrian routes marked by signs on the ground. Please note that, for safety reasons, it is prohibited to cycle on some roads along the tram railway, so pay attention to street signs indicating forbidden routes.
Taxis are normally found waiting close to the train and bus station. To get a taxi in other parts of the city is often necessary to request one by calling the number +39 049 651333, which is active 24h a day www.taxipadova.it. Mind that taxi rides can be very expensive.
Where to stay in Padua
The organisers of the Conference have selected Hotels of different categories, which agreed on reserving a special price for participants at the CSF2016.
Please, be aware that June is high touristic season for Padua. Most of the structures listed below have agreed on reserving a certain number of room for the CSF until April 30th 2016 – so we invite participants to make their travel arrangements before that date and as early as they can. Additional information about hotels, bed & breakfasts and hostels can be found in the regional tourism website (Hospitality section) or in Padova Tourist Office's website (Accommodation section).
Please note that prices listed below include breakfast but do not include visitor's tax (price per night per person: 1-2€ depending on hotel category). Participants are required to make arrangements directly with the hotel, mentioning their participation at the Canine Science Forum at the time of booking.
- Hotel Europa
- Distance from the conference venue: 500m
- Discounted prices
- - €90 (single room)
- - €95 (double room for single use)
- - €120 (double room)
- Website: www.hoteleuropapd.it
- Hotel Donatello
- Distance from the conference venue: 750m
- Discounted prices
- - €90 (double room for single use)
- - €157 (double room)
- Website: www.hotel-donatello.net
- Hotel Igea
- Distance from the conference venue: 950m
- Discounted prices:
- - €63 (single room)
- - €75 (double room for single use)
- - €85 (double room)
- Website: www.hoteligea.it
- Hotel Casa del Pellegrino
- Distance from the conference venue: 850m
- Discounted prices:
- - €52 (single room)
- - €60 (double room for single use)
- - €79 (double room)
- - €96 (triple room)
- - €113 (four bed room)
- - €130 (five bed room)
- Website: www.casadelpellegrino.com
- Hotel M14
- Distance from the conference venue: 1000m
- Discounted prices:
- - €47 (single room)
- - €59 (double room for single use)
- - €74 (double room)
- - €105 (triple room)
- Website: www.hotelm14.it
1 and 2 stars
- Hotel Eden
- Distance from the conference venue: 800m
- Discounted price: 10% on regular prices listed below
- - €50 (Single room)
- - €60 (double room for single use)
- - €75 (double room)
- - €85 (triple room)
- Website: www.hoteledenpadova.it
- Residenza Belzoni
Distance from the conference venue: 1300m
- - €38 (single room)
- - €66 (double room)
- - €90 (triple room)
- - €120 (4 beds room)
- Website: www.residenzabelzoni.it